How to file an injury or damage claim
Pursuant to RCW 4.96, a Tort Claim Form is necessary to file a claim for injury or damage against The Northwest Seaport Alliance. Details on the claim filing process and frequently asked questions are below.
Process for Filing a Claim:
- It is best to first verify that The Northwest Seaport Alliance is the appropriate party to file your claim against. If your claim is in relation to a different agency, submission to the Northwest Seaport Alliance may cause a delay.
- Download the Tort Claim Form Packet (PDF) or email Sara Kern at for a copy.
- Refer to the Tort Claim Form Instructions provided within the packet.
- Type or print clearly in ink and sign the Tort Claim Form.
- If the requested information cannot be supplied in the space provided, please use additional pages to complete the Tort Claim Form.
- If you are presenting a personal injury claim, please sign and attach the Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information provided within the packet.
- It is to your advantage to present your claim with all relevant documents. Provide all requested information and any available evidence supporting your claim, such as medical records or bills for personal injuries, photographs, proof of ownership for property damage, receipts for repairs, wage loss information, and other documentation as appropriate.
- Some of the information on this form as well as any supporting documents may be subject to public disclosure under the Public Records Act (RCW 42.56).
NWSA Claims in Pierce County
Attention: Sara Kern (Authorized agent)
P.O Box 1837, Tacoma, WA 98401
Or, hand-delivered by appointment only to: One Sitcum Plaza, Tacoma, WA 98421.
NWSA Claims in King County
Attention: Jeff J. Hollingsworth or Laricel Cambronero (Authorized agents)
2711 Alaskan Way, Seattle WA 98121
Hand delivery by appointment only.
Our offices are closed on weekends and holidays. Standard Business Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., however, your hand delivery must be scheduled in advance.
After you submit the completed Tort Claim Form
- Risk Management will confirm receipt.
- Your claim will be investigated.
- Risk Management may ask for additional documents as part of the investigation. This evaluation can take up to 60 days or more, depending on the nature of your claim.
- Risk Management’s review may result in a settlement, denial, or tender to a third party. A final determination will be communicated to you.
Service of Process
The authorized representative to receive service of process for The Northwest Seaport Alliance is Chief Executive Officer John Wolfe or his delegate. Service of process should be directed to the following address:
Northwest Seaport Alliance
One Sitcum Plaza
Tacoma, WA 98421
Standard Business Hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. However, your delivery must be scheduled in advance.
A courtesy copy of any Service of Process for the Port of Tacoma/Northwest Seaport Alliance should also be sent electronically to counsel, as follows:
For the Northwest Seaport Alliance: General Counsel Dana Henderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please copy the Risk Manager, Sara Kern on the above courtesy copies sent to counsel. Please note that these are courtesy copies only and should not be considered effective for service of process.