Clean Truck Program FAQ

As of Jan. 1, 2019, all trucks serving our international container terminals must have an active RFID tag and have a 2007 (or newer) engine, or a certified equivalent emission control system. Your RFID must be updated with your current driver information, VIN, company name, SCAC and license plate information.

While RFID tags are required on all compliant trucks, individual terminals may use green stickers when gates are experiencing downtime.

The Clean Truck Program requirements reduce diesel particulate matter emissions by up to 90 percent per truck.

Will the NWSA change the requirements in the future?

At the Feb. 6, 2018 meeting, Managing Members voted that the 2007 engine or equivalent standard will remain in place until at least 2025.

I bought a 2007 truck – can I enter the ports?

No. A 2007 model truck has a 2006 engine, which will not meet the requirements of the Clean Truck Program. The Clean Truck Program is tied to the engine year.

Is the Clean Truck Fund still accepting applications?

No. The submission deadline for the Clean Truck Fund loan program has closed. We are no longer accepting new applications at this time.

Can I enter the ports if my truck uses alternative fuels rather than diesel fuel?

Yes! LNG-, CNG- and propane-fueled trucks qualify under the Clean Truck Program and may enter the ports’ container terminals without meeting the 2007 engine requirement.

My truck passes emissions testing; why does the NWSA require CARB- or EPA-verified technologies?

The CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification process for DPFs and other emission control retrofits is much more rigorous and comprehensive than the Washington state emissions testing program; CARB often serves as the standard-setting entity for other states. As the State of Washington does not have its own vehicle emission standards and testing laboratories, the program relies on the results and standards set by the EPA and CARB.

Can my truck enter the ports if the engine’s emissions are reduced by a retrofit?

The NWSA accepts alternative solutions that control emissions equivalent to a 2007 engine, provided the solution has received a California Air Resources Board (CARB) verification. Learn more about the Equivalent Emission Control Requirements.

What does the NWSA allow as an equivalent to a 2007 engine truck?

The NWSA accepts alternative solutions that control emissions equivalent to a 2007 engine. However, not all verified retrofit devices will be equivalent to a truck manufactured to meet the 2007 EPA engine standards.

The NWSA will accept any device verified by CARB as a Level 3 device that reduces particulate matter emissions by at least 85 percent, as an equivalent to a 2007 engine. Note: CARB Level 1 and Level 2 devices will not be accepted as equivalent technologies to a 2007 engine. A list of CARB Level 3 devices may be found here:

The NWSA will accept EPA-verified retrofits that reduce PM emissions by at least 85 percent as equivalent to a 2007 engine. EPA-verified retrofits may be found here: [Note: sort by ‘PM Reduction’]