The Cargo Anchor Award is proud to recognize companies for business initiatives that grow cargo volume in the gateway and drive economic activity for the region.
The winner is selected based on measurable net contribution to increasing marine cargo volume in the gateway and related jobs generated from specific initiatives, improvements or investments.
2022 Winners and nominees were recognized at the NWSA Annual Customer Appreciation Reception held Thurs., Oct. 12, 2023 at the Boeing Museum of Flight.
Winners were selected based on the following criteria:
- Activities from Jan. 1, 2022 – Dec. 31, 2022.
- Demonstrate a measurable increase in cargo volume growth, jobs or other positive economic impact through quantitative “before-and-after” data.
- Activities are primarily privately funded; does not rely exclusively on port or other public funding.
- Has a positive downstream effect on other customers, tenants and supply chain partners (multiplier).
- Has recognizable potential for medium or long-term benefit for the port and the region’s citizens.
- Nominee may be located outside of the Puget Sound (King, Pierce and surrounding counties), but activities must generate direct economic and community benefits for the region.
Here are just some of the activities that might qualify for recognition:
- Facility investments and improvements that drive cargo volume growth
- Expansion to existing manufacturing or processing facility that increases exports
- Construction of a new warehouse or distribution center
- Upgrades to equipment or infrastructure that increase cargo handling capacity and volume
- Other operational investments that result in an increase in cargo volume handled
- Programs and services that bring more cargo to the gateway
- Start an NWSA-centric distribution or replenishment program
- Launch a new transportation service that includes NWSA as a call or service offering
- Collaborate with supply chain partners to develop new integrated services
- Shift discretionary cargo volumes to the gateway